Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Schwartzman and Schmucks

It wasn't my idea to go. In fact my roomie told me about it only the night before. I thought about saying no because frankly I have never been the kind of person to get things autographed. But I'm really glad I did go.

The signing we attended was for Scott Pilgrim vs the World. We only knew that Michael Cera was going to be there but once in line a friend told us that Jason Schwartzman and Edgar Wright would also be signing.

Michael Cera's awesomeness was fresh in my mind since just a few weeks ago I had watched Juno for the millionth time. Schwartzman wowed me in just about everything he's ever been in and I am including Phantom Planet music.


We waited for about two hours before the signing actually began and we had a very good place in line. I felt bad for the people who arrived later than us that did not have the benefit of shade as we were waiting outside in the beautiful Georgia heat. Behind us in line was some guy who was talking in depth about the careers of the trio we were waiting on. He was very obnoxious and I was immediately reminded of the similar scene from Annie Hall where Woody Allen and Diane Keaton are waiting in line at the movies. I tuned him out but my poor roomie had a bit of trouble doing that. The only thing I remember him saying was something about how Michael Cera plays the same character in every movie. I can neither confirm nor deny this opinion. I can see the point that ones I think of immediately are similar but I haven't seen his complete body of work.

Once we finally got inside my excitement grew. I started to feel a little nervous. The signing was at this ubercool record store and glancing at their selection of items reminded me how I might not be cool enough for this store or this event. We got closer to the table and I could hear them speaking and see the order. First was Edgar Wright, second was Michael Cera, and third was Jason Schwartzman.

Getting to the table shyness hit me like a brick and about all I could muster to EW was a thank you in response to his mildly lackluster greeting. Michael Cera barely looked up to say hello and I think all I did was smile. Schwartzman however was warm and chatted with me a bit. He looked me directly in the eye and shook my hand. This floored me. I don't know how I came up with the idea that he was going to be the most stand offish but I was wrong. I know that they had been at this task for a good 45 minutes by now so I don't hold any behavior against them.

Once outside my roomie and I had a good laugh about that fact that his Michael Cera signature looked more like Michael Cara. My roomie took a phone call and then something odd happened. Schwartzman ran outside and started signing things for people who were in line. The guy who came out with him announced that Schwartzman had to leave early. I thought it was a really sweet gesture. I've decided I will watch everything he's in from here on out.

A tad later that day roomie and I and a couple went to see Dinner for Schmucks. There were a few reasons for me to want to see this movie and they were Zack Galifianakis and  Paul Rudd. Steve Carell and I have a love/hate relationship going on.

I have mixed emotions about the film. I really enjoyed seeing Lucy Punch (I loved her in Being Julia). Dinner for Schmucks had very funny parts and the typical American movie ending was very satisfying. However, many portions of the movie were just extremely irritating to me. There were moments in the movie where I envisioned myself reaching through the screen and strangling Steve Carell's character. This same feeling has come over me before when watching The Office. The fear of this feeling has thus far prevented me from seeing Date Night.

This movie definitely falls under movies I will never watch again. I'm not sure if I loved the ending or if it was just relaxing to know that it was over. Paul Rudd did what he does so well and Zack G. was his normal funny/quirky self. I would not recommend this to anyone unless I knew they were big Carell fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment